Ethiopia Makes Changes, I Cry, I'm Okay


Yesterday Ethiopia announced a major change in adoption procedure.  They are now requiring that families travel twice, the first time to appear at the court date to affirm their commitment to adopt the referred child, the second time to bring the child home.   It’s a positive change, I think, but I was really sad last night.  Sad because it was unexpected, not-really-official-but-verified information, and the thought of my baby being in the orphanage one more day than necessary breaks my heart.   The thoughts were really swirling...
what does this mean?  they say it’s going to take longer...how much longer?  but, wait, we’ll get to see her soon.  but then we have to leave her.  the tears fall.  my abba father, i know you’re in control.  i know you’re taking care of her, loving her beyond measure.  can’t i just stay in africa after the court date and wait for her there.  why not?  okay, it’s fine, it’s good, it’s...so...frustrating.  to be so close, to be in the group of parents that are right. there.  almost there...and now a change.  
I am grateful for optimism.  My husband hugs me sweetly and says,  “before you know it, she’ll be home and we’ll be doing this all over again.”   My mom and dad call and give me a hug over the phone, a welcome conversation of truth and hope.  My friend Aimee and I talk it out.   I go to bed feeling hopeful, reminded that I dwell in the shadow of the Almighty, and He knows

  
I slept well last night, went for a walk this morning, and felt so much better.   The upshot is that this is a positive change in Ethiopian adoption, we’ll get to meet our sweet little one soon, because I know that the court date must be around the corner.  All good.  Here’s what I know:
From 1 John 4 and 5...
And we know (understand, recognize, are conscious of, by observation and by experience), and believe (adhere to and put faith in and rely on) the love God cherishes for usGod is love, and he who dwells and continues in love dwells and continues in God, and God dwells and continues in Him...
There is no fear in love  -- dread does not exist; but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror!
We love Him, because He first loved us.
For whatever is born of God is victorious over the world; and this is the victory that conquers the world, even our faith.
Father, I pray that all of us on this crazy adoption road will understand the truth of these verses.  We will not fear, we will be victorious, because your heart breaks for these orphans and you long to bring them home.  You get that are hearts long to hold these babies.  The very idea of adoption is born of you.  You will provide extra money for the extra trip and be with us through every step of this process.  You will bless our little ones as we wait.  May we dwell and continue on this path in love, in You.   In Jesus’ name, Amen

Comments

Deb said…
You're amazing Carissa. I will continue to pray that baby home.
Love,
Deb
hh said…
Dad and I are standing with you and can't wait for God to take this opportunity to show His might and power and His love for all those that are waiting for their children.
We love you!
mom

Popular Posts