No Sleep

Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city, 
The watchman keeps awake in vain.
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To retire late,
To eat the bread of painful labors;
For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.
                                                             Psalm 127:1-2


I was so anticipating a productive, in control, Martha Stewartish sort of morning.  Up for an early run, the laundry put away, a very spiritually productive quiet time, and a sweet send off for my family.  So I went to bed promptly at 9:00, set the alarm for a chipper 4:53, and then got down to the business of deep, restorative sleep.  But it never came.  I was up All. Night. Long.  All Night Long is a space in time that I don't care to experience, and never have.  I love my sleep, and I love the above verse that tells me that my Father gives to His beloved even in his sleep.  
I am reminded by nights like these that well-laid plans are in vain unless these plans are built by the Lord.  When I abide in Him and rest in the fact that He is accomplishing the work, His plans will not fail, even when I lose control and things are not as I thought they should be.  
My laundry did get done.  I sent the family off peacefully.  I did have a great quiet time.  The run, though, had to go.
Thank you, Lord, that despite my very crabby start to the day, in your infinite grace, you gave me the gift of deep restoration, the kind that is way better than 8 hours of sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts