Reflections on Prayer

"Meditation introduces us into the inner life, fasting is an accompanying means, study transforms our minds, but it is the discipline of prayer that brings us into the deepest and highest work of the human spirit."
Richard J. Foster, The Celebration of Discipline


We are reading The Celebration of Discipline at our house, a reputed Christian classic that I'd never heard of two months ago.  As I continue to learn about the mysterious, amazing discipline of prayer coupled with faith, the Lord is teaching me several things.   One is that, for reasons unfathomable to me, He has invited us to join Him in His work.  The greatest participation I have in His plan lies in my prayer. Prayers are woven together from heaven to earth, bringing us into communion with the Lord and accomplishing all sorts of things for God's glory and our good.   Together.  As Kelly put it this morning, God has ordained the process, and we get to participate in the process.  He made it so.  Prayer is an act of faith, humility, and  -- above all else we do -- prayer assures that God gets the glory.  I loved that statement because, it's true, when I perform an act of service, read the Bible, fast, attend Bible study, there's always that feeling that I've been good....which invariably leads to pride in some way, shape or form. Prayer is an act that no one else knows about...except One.   It is an act that takes place in silence, in stillness of thought, in a posture of humility, yet boldly coming before His throne of grace.

For me lately, to pray in faith is to bumble around, grope for the right words, and then to give up all together, finally driven to just sit in the Lord's presence and listen.  In silence.  The faith is in knowing that He knows what's going on and He knows the best outcome, the perfect timing, and I can rest.

Be still and know that I am God.



Ethan gives himself four shots a day.  God told me He is going to heal him.  I believe Him.

The second thing I'm learning about is timing.  In BSF this week, Lisa commented that prayer is a passing opportunity.  She pointed to Matthew 26, where Jesus asked the disciples to pray and they, being so very tired, slept instead.   I can relate.  How many times have I fell asleep right in the middle of prayer, or not prayed at all because I wrongly believed it didn't matter anyway.  And then I've experienced the opposite, times of prayer so powerful, so effective, so beautifully revealing the Father's love and provision, that I wanted to savor that moment forever.  A seized opportunity that bore fruit...right away.

At the end of the parable of the persistent widow in Luke 18, Jesus asks, "...when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"  It occurred to me today that I oftentimes have faith that he will heal or provide; however, do I have faith in his timing?   The Lord is eager to answer our prayers, yet His eagerness sometimes does not translate into immediate answers.   Yet we can be filled with confidence that He will gladly give us a God-aligned desire...just maybe not today.

Father, I thank you that you call me to a life of prayer.  You are my hope, my peace, my all.   Teach me how to pray.

Comments

Carolyn said…
Your posts are so beautiful! The pictures, the words, the reflections, the faith... I love everything about them. I still want to hear the story about the lady praying. So excited about all God is doing!

Popular Posts