What I Do

A friend and I were catching up today. She asked what I was up to these days. I paused because, well, I'm not up to anything really newsworthy. I don't work. I don't have an amazing talent or hobby I pursue. I don't volunteer at a worthy non-profit. These were my thoughts as I pondered her question.

Then I realized that I do a lot! During this remarkable season of life -- and I know it's a sweet, short season -- I read to third-graders, lead moms in prayer for a very young school and its very precious students, volunteer for lots of field trips, attend BSF, fold my boys' underwear, make nutritious meals for my family, fold my husband's underwear, sit with friends over coffee or lunch (one of my favorites), run, all before 2:30. And then I DO have some hobbies I halfheartedly pursue: photography, scrapbooking, Spanish. These things add the spice to my day.
After 2:30, well, my life is just like all the other moms out there...a bit frantic, a bit overwhelming at times, nudging my kids along in several different directions, always grateful for bedtime!
My Father in heaven has made it clear to me that the care of my family should be my first priority. Every time in the last couple years when I've tried to pursue various things, in the end He calls me back home. There will always be time to work, time to volunteer for those worthy causes. But now, this time has been consecrated to serve my family, encourage my friends, pray for our young ones. I feel blessed to be in this place, but I also hold it loosely. I know that if and when God calls me into another season demanding more outside-the-family time, His plans will be sure and the path clear. I can trust Him with my time. He always sees the bigger picture.

Comments

Popular Posts