The Believer's Reality

A lot of people have been asking how things are going, are the boys transitioning well, how's the baby doing at night, are you getting sleep, etc.  I guess I didn't really have any expectations as to the answers to these questions.  I just knew God had ordained this sweet girl to be a part of our family and that He would be there for us through the transition.  I prayed for me to be okay.  I prayed for the boys to adjust.  I prayed for Gia to bond with us quickly.  When we considered adoption these past few years, I guess the questions we asked a lot, both out loud and in our private thoughts, went something like this:  Will we be okay if something goes wrong? Are we further complicating our life when things are sometimes complicated enough?  What if we're not prepared?  What if this hurts the boys in some way?
I'm glad the Lord, in His very patient grace and mercy, revealed to us the truth of our reluctant hearts, laid open and bare before Him, and slowly began the transformation of our reality into HIS reality -- the only one that matters.  Those questions became new questions.  Those questions still remained, but the more important questions had to be:  Is this His plan for us?  Does our family care about the orphans and widows and the poor and marginalized in our world?  Or do we care more about the American dream and not rocking that precarious boat of comfort?  What are WE going to do?  Is sponsoring one Compassion child enough?
Adoption is a challenging subject.  People say to me, I'm glad you're doing that.  It's not for us.  When I hear that, I think, Why is it not for you?  Do you think you're too old?  Too poor?  Is it not your calling?  When Jesus told us to care for widows and orphans, it was not a calling, but the reality of living out the heart of Jesus.   It is the reality of being a believer on an earth with over 100 million orphans.  It is the reality of being a Jesus follower to care and then to act...to do SOMETHING.
Now that we are home, my thoughts are already jumping to the What Next.   I know our daughter has only been home less than two weeks, but I cannot help but think about the orphans who were left behind, still waiting for their mommy and daddy to come take them home.  I think about the majority of beautiful Ethiopians who have little access to clean water and any sort of medical care.   I pray.
And in the now, the present, I rejoice.  Our daughter is home.  I soak in the smell of her skin and stare into her intensely beautiful eyes.  I cannot believe God has chosen to bless us so richly with this little one.  Her little heart is content, at home.  We could have never imagined the joy, the love, this child has brought to our sons and us.   What God has planned for her....I can only imagine.   I can only imagine what He has planned for those left in that orphanage while, at the same time, He is knocking on the door of someone's reluctant heart to consider adoption.
Adoption is a celebration:



Experiencing family: 
Ethan changes his first diaper and Christian feeds Giana!  

Only the dog isn't feeling the love...poor thing.



O LORD, you are my God; 
 I will exalt you and praise your name, 
    for in perfect faithfulness 
       you have done marvelous things, 
       things planned long ago.
Isaiah 25:1

Comments

sasha parker said…
Carissa! So beautiful!!! Praising the Lord for your gift!! Your boys are so sweet with Gia!
Unknown said…
I was cracking up looking at those photos of the boys feeding and changing Gia. They are so precious and she seems to be enjoying all the attention. I can't believe how much they've grown up!
Sarah said…
Had to laugh at the pic of Shiloh. :)

Popular Posts