The Long Version of Easter 2011

As I stare out the window and see yet another dreary day, I am especially thankful for this last weekend.  Today I have already vowed 10 times to be thankful for rain, clouds, more rain and clouds.  After all, the grass is greening up and at least it's not snowing.  
Good Friday was dreary.  It was fitting.  We were late to church and ended up in the standing in the lobby the whole time.   But in the dark atmosphere, all eyes on the large cross in front of us, Kelly recounted the story of the crucifixion, how Jesus was innocent, and how Barabbas was guilty.  We are all Barabbas.  That is, until we come to Jesus [believe in, rely on, trust in, depend upon Him] and He exchanges our sin for His righteousness and frees us from the gunk that would otherwise muck up our lives.  Christian was riveted.  He stood, leaning against a doorframe, his body still (rare).  Even after the glorious celebration Sunday morning, he said the Good Friday service was his favorite.  I don't understand fully how God used it to touch his heart, but I'm thankful my heavenly Father, who loves us so radically, knows my boy far more intimately than I ever will.  I don't think I will ever forget the sight of him leaning on that doorframe, still, God working something deep in his heart.   I am reminded of Mary, how she loved to just be still with Jesus, soaking Him in.
Ethan was more like Martha on Good Friday, concerned about the people coming in late like us, helping set up chairs and probably wondering about the fire code, like our friend who was ushering that night.  I love his servant's heart, and yet sometimes I fret that he's missing the wonder of a moment that I personally feel is not to be missed.  


Thankfully, again, God wired him to be how he is and is always reminding me that HE causes the growth and draws Ethan.  And Ethan was drawn.  The Sunday morning Easter service was like no other, and this time we were up front, only a couple rows back, and Ethan was riveted.   In a nutshell, Kelly laid out why Christianity is different from all other religions and methodically went through each major religion in the world, what they require for salvation and their remedy for sin.  I left thinking how GRATEFUL and BLESSED!!! I am to be a follower of Jesus.   Ethan felt like that too.  
And little G.  We grabbed a quick picture with the Easter bunny in the park on Friday.  She toddled around with the other little ones in the nursery both Friday night and Sunday morning.   We woke up to sunshine Easter morning, and I grabbed some pics of the kids on the back porch.







Easter dinner was enjoyed with family, lots of family!  I chased Gia around most of the time, but it was good to catch up with everyone in little snippets of conversation.
Lord, you are GOOD!  You are the One and Only One who is mighty to save! I give thanks to You for moving in my family this weekend, surrounding us with sunshine and family and HOPE.  Amen!

Comments

Popular Posts