A Refugee's Heart

"There is war everywhere, " the Somali woman mused.  She is right.  War is everywhere.

It was an exciting day yesterday.  Re:new opened its doors for the fall term, and I walked in the door on light feet, taking in the sea of colorful fabrics, the smiles of the other women and admiring the very cool things the women had sewn over the summer.  But as we settled into knitting class and the words started to flow, the talk turned to war.  "Do you know what has happened in Sudan?" a refugee student asked a teacher.   We waited for her to tell us because, of course, even if you know what's happened in Sudan, we were not there.  We could not know.  "I left because there is always war.  I did not want to take part in the war, so I had to leave."  The Somali woman nodded her head in agreement.  As the knitting needles lumbered along (yes, we're lumbering right now, not flying),  each woman gave us a small glimpse of their sweet hearts, hearts familiar with anguish and loss.

My heart is in anguish within me,
And the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling come upon me,
And horror has overwhelmed me.
I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest.
Behold, I would wander far away,
I would lodge in the wilderness.
I would hasten to my place of refuge
From the stormy wind and tempest."
Psalms 55:4-8



Comments

hh said…
I am becoming more and more thankful for our America. It has always been a place of refuge for those who flee from oppressive and war torn countries.
I love how God is ministering to these refugees through Re:new!
I am also thankful for a daughter that God has given a heart to reach out to these women and give them hope.

Popular Posts