Flying Time



The past couple of weeks have raced by, reminding me that summertime is always a fleeting season, gone too soon.   We took some much-needed time away, although "away" was not very far.  Sometimes the best vacations are the ones closest to home, planned spur-of-the-moment, throwing duffel bags and dog bowls and diapers in the car and hoping you have all the essentials of life packed into the ever-shrinking mini-van.  Our first stop:  Egg Harbor, WI.



The hollyhocks here seemed really tall and robust.  They were everywhere.  
We pulled into the "resort" (according to the website) with excitement.    We opened the door of our room to find a tiny, almost RV-like room complete with a small kitchen and living area.  We took up every square inch.   But, yay, it was very clean and in a great location.  
William and I learned that our kids are a *little* spoiled and were expecting the Ritz.  "We're staying here?"  "Yes, we are!!!  Isn't it GREAT?"  We pasted smiles on our faces and secretly checked the cancellation policy.  There wasn't one.   Meanwhile, kids are starving all over the world and once again we are reminded that we have a long way to go in the sanctification department.  Holy Spirit, come!
Our friends were also in Egg Harbor, and we enjoyed beautiful sunsets from their gorgeous condo overlooking the water, with granite countertops, flat-screen TV, All-Clad cookware....I digress.



Little Gia experienced her first boat ride:








The boys spent a lot of time fishing:
Other favorite things about Door County:  Good Eggs (a great breakfast place), cherry pie, walking along the harbors, sweet family time with our friends and their four boys:








The latter part of the week was spent at grandma and grandpa's place on Lake Michigan:



We woke up to the sound of rain the first morning in Michigan, and my first thought was, ugh, not a rainy day!  Cloudy and dark, I pictured all of us inside, inside, and inside...all.day.long.   But the rain stopped and we were treated to the most beautiful morning.  Down on the beach, it was still, the water like glass.  The moody sky was all shades of blue and purple...peaceful.   quiet.  lovely.  My camera, of course, was upstairs, and I doubt it could have captured the moment fully.  The boys played in the water, and Gia and I took a walk along the shoreline.  It really was a magical moment, a gift straight from the Lord.



The Lord is my shepherd; 
I have all that I need. 
He lets me rest in green meadows; 
he leads me beside peaceful streams. 
He renews my strength. 
He guides me along right paths, 
bringing honor to his name. Psalm 23

Comments

Popular Posts