Summer Goodbye

Another goodbye.  I managed to hold the tears back until I got inside.   It stinks to live far from family.  In my ideal world, mom and dad would live close enough for Sunday dinners and Saturday baseball games.  But until some glorious day in heaven, I’ll settle for summer visits and every other Christmas/Thanksgiving.

My mom has been here for all of my babies’ first month home.  For me it’s a month full of blessings.  My freezer is now packed with her wonderfully tasty spaghetti sauce, individually wrapped muffins and -- one of Ethan’s favorites -- her brisket.  I will miss the quesadillas she made for us almost every day for lunch.  Not your normal quesadillas, but the ones only she makes...full of fresh veggies and greens with a sprinkle of goat cheese.   She always whipped up papaya and rice milk shakes in the morning and reminded me to take my vitamins.  I wonder when I’m going to turn into my mother.  Every time I leave her, I vow to eat more greens and remember my calcium.  Maybe this time I’ll last longer than two weeks?  We’ll see.  And we laugh.  A lot.  I’ll miss her laughter.
My dad brought me Starbucks this morning.  After a night of dealing with a sick dog and a baby that kept losing her pacifier, it was the perfect thing.  My dad’s in a lot of pain these days.  But in the midst of that, he is full of the little surprises that brighten our days.  Graham’s Chocolate had a very good week last week.  When he comes, he always walks down to Graham’s and buys us different chocolates, always remembering peanut butter cups for William.  The boys and I are not so picky.  The boys love their papa.  I love him too.  We love his stories and the twinkle in his eye when he’s pulling someone’s leg...which is often.  
I will miss them.  My little Gia will probably be walking when we see them next, the boys will be a little taller, and autumn will be a memory.  
Father, thank you for a month of togetherness and a month wrapped in love.  I know that all good things are straight from your hand, gifts of grace and mercy.  I do not deserve all the love you shower upon me through family.  Life is sometimes rough, really hard, and You give us each other.  May You transform me to be more like You so that I desire to bless those closest to me, just as I have been so blessed this month.
In Jesus’ name, Amen

Comments

Weaver said…
It's so hard when they leave; but, I am so glad your mother came to see her Gia. Your family is beautiful!!!!
Jon y Amy said…
Sorry they are leaving. :( Gia reminds me a lot of Jada! She has the same hair as Jada and Adia too!

Hope all is going well!

Popular Posts