Unforgettable Thanksgiving



Memorable Thanksgivings in Arkansas abound.

family...sunshine...fried turkey...4-wheeling...football...


This year was different.   All of the above took place, ensconced in an atmosphere of love and thanksgiving, rich, authentic and beautiful.

My cousins and aunt from Dallas came up, we came down, and for a couple days we enjoyed reconnecting.  My family in Dallas always inspires me to greater heights.  My aunt always speaks a wonderful word over me, her faith brilliantly shining in this sometimes dark world.  My cousins are 100 percent Texan, beautiful and full of life, always authentic.  They inspire me to shop and wear heels.   Although this is a rather short-lived inspiration, I love the reminder that dressing up is not such a bad thing...occasionally.

Thanksgiving morning, Dad cooked his amazing breakfast of fried potatoes and eggs, bacon and ham.  We all sat around the rattan table (as old as me) and laughed.  Family is precious.   We have the wonderful blessing of being knit together by blood and Jesus and store-bought biscuits.

Later we sat down to another meal, this time with Allen and Mary.   Beforehand, the men frying turkey in the garage, the ladies in the house making potatoes and cranberry sauce, the kids playing in the woods, in the stream, up and down Allen and Mary's hill, Shiloh racing along with them  -- this is what an Arkansas Thanksgiving is all about.  The meal is just to cap off an already perfect kind of day.
Mary placed corn kernels by our plates, and as we ate, someone would take a kernel, place it on the table and say a thanksgiving.   I don't think I've ever been so blessed.   The words poured out:
I am thankful for my husband... my wife... amazing kids... our health... Joseph Prince.... fried turkey... a brother...a baby to be... grace, love, hope... all gifts from our Heavenly Father.

After a life-changing year in so many ways for our family (E's diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes and the decision to adopt) I am reminded this Thanksgiving of God's lavish love, poured out so tangibly over the last couple weeks especially.  He loves us.  He loves our family.  He gave us this day as a gift.

Comments

Popular Posts