New Year's Eve 2008

On New Year's Eve, all four of us sat around a meal of soup and chicken drumsticks and talked about 2008. "What was your favorite movie of '08?" "What was one of your accomplishments?" William had printed out a Top Things of '08 list for each of us to fill out. Ethan's neat cursive quickly filled the blanks, and Christian has yet to complete his sheet, although we now know his favorite treat is 3 Muskateers (yuk). Ethan noted his areas of progress, the top one being achieving Silver status on swim team. His top sport is swimming, his favorite book "The Rats of NIMH". William's favorite Bible verse is Proverbs 3:4-5, his favorite food a cheeseburger from Portillo's. Like Ethan, his sheet was filled out decisively and sits completed in the drawer. Mine still has more than a few blanks. My top day of the week is Saturday, and my top movie is... oh, wait, I didn't see any. William and I realized that we did not see even one movie (Kung Fu Panda does not count) the entire year. Under my Growth/Progress section for '08, two blanks remain. I'm still thinking about that one.
Looking around at my family, I am grateful for our health, our togetherness, our blessings. The Lord gifted us graciously with a year-end bonus for William, totally unexpected and very much needed. He blesses us daily with His continuous love, transforming each of us little by little. So even though my progress blanks aren't filled in, I know the Holy Spirit is at work in our family, strengthening our family day by day in the knowledge of His love, His peace, His joy.
As we toasted the New Year, I felt deeply touched, deeply together. I know this is a precious time, each day is a gift.

Comments

hh said…
What a blessing it is to see God working so greatly in your life and the "guys"! Parents can have no greater joy than the one they receive when they see their children seeking God, and passing His love and the knowledge of Christ our Lord, through whom we have all things, to our grandchildren.
No human words can express our gratefulness for the grace God has shown our family...I love you!
mom

Popular Posts